Miami, FL Citi Latin America was named Bond House of the Year by LatinFinance magazine in its annual Deals of the Year awards. The 2021 Deals of the Year awards recognized outstanding transactions in Latin America between October 2020 and September 2021, as well as the people and institutions that made them happen.
“Citi was bookrunner on $20.6 billion in bond deals, reaching the top of the debt capital markets league tables in Latin America, according to Dealogic. But it also worked on some of the most outstanding bond deals in the region over that period, winning 12.8% of market share,” wrote LatinFinance.
“We are truly honored with this recognition from LatinFinance, especially as the region continues its economic recovery,” said Chris Gilfond, Head of Latin America Capital Markets at Citi. “This award recognizes Citi’s role in the design and execution of tailored solutions for our clients across all of Latin America as well as our leadership in driving innovation in the ESG, infrastructure and restructuring space during the year. We continue our commitment to support our clients in the region and help them navigate the challenges of a rapidly evolving market.”
In addition to being named the Bond House of the Year, Citi received recognition for its leading roles in 9 transactions for clients across a broad range of categories: Structured Finance, Financial Institutions Bond, Quasi-Sovereign Bond, Cross-Border M&A, Subnational, Local Currency, Sovereign Bond, Sovereign Liability Management and Corporate High-Yield Bond. More importantly, Citi contributed its clients’ success by leading several transactions for this year’s Sovereign Issuer of the Year and Corporate Issuer of the Year.
As environmental, social and governance (ESG) responsibilities becomes a priority globally, Citi saw an increase of ESG deals in the international bond market, now accounting for 30% of the total issuance volume, up 20 percentage points from 2020. In 2021, Citi led the industry with the largest market reach in ESG offerings in Latin America, especially in Sustainable Finance, having helped clients issue bond products in 9 different countries in the region, more than any other bank.
Citi has a physical presence in Latin America spanning 20 countries with specialized capital markets and investment banking teams based in Bogota, Mexico City, New York and Sao Paulo, serving clients across the region.
For more information about LatinFinance Deals of the Year Awards, please visit https://www.latinfinance.com/awards/deals-of-the-year-awards/2021
List of Awards
The LatinFinance awards referenced in this press release are the following:
1. Bond House of the Year: Citi
2. Structured Finance Deal of the Year: Metro de Panama's $2 billion ECA covered notes issuance facility
3. Financial Institutions Deal of the Year: Itau's sustainability Tier 2 bond
4. Quasi-Sovereign Bond of the Year: Tocumen Airport's $1.85 billion issuance
5. Subnational Deal of the Year: Buenos Aires $7.1 billion Restructuring
6. Sovereign Bond of the Year: Peru's $4 billion Sovereign Bond
7. Sovereign Liability Management Deal of the Year: Dominican Republic's DOP116.8 billion local notes offering
8. Cross-Border M&A Deal of the Year: State Grid International's Acquisition of Naturgy's Stake in CGE
9. Local Currency Deal of the Year: Chile CLP1.6 trillion Debt Offering
10. Corporate High-Yield Bond of the Year: Mercado Libre Inaugural USD Sustainable Bond Issuance
11. Corporate Issuer of the Year: Cemex
12. Sovereign Issuer of the Year: Republic of Chile
Cap Expand Partners sharing news from: www.citigroup.com